Dedee
It's time again for bunches of random tidbits from Eowyn.

- - -

My daughter is now the proud owner of a frog. A real, living, breathing frog. In water. Thankfully it's of the aquatic variety. I'm not sure how I'd handle a land one.

They had a Renaissance Fair at school today where everyone brought wares to sell (Kendra brought handmade friendship bracelets and origami). They spent the last few weeks earning "money" (all fake) to buy stuff with.

I decided to go over and see how things were this afternoon. While I was there one of Kendra's friends told her that she had gotten a fish and showed us a very pretty gold fish. I told Kendra she could go and buy one.

She came back with a frog. Apparently they were out of fish.

I'm not extraordinarily excited about this.

We have made it very clear that this is Kendra's pet and it lives in her room and she has to take care of it. We are providing the initial set up--tank, rocks, fake plant, first pile of food--but she has to buy everything else herself from now on.

Yikes.

We think it's an African Dwarf Frog, but we aren't exactly sure. The problem with buying a frog at a school fair is that the 6th grader selling it to us probably knows as much about it as we do, which is nothing. We are hoping it's not of the African Clawed variety because they get big and I do Not want a fist sized frog.

Really? I thought it was going to be the boys that brought home the frogs. Not Kendra. (How non-politically correct is that?)

- - -

I'm going to Canada in a month. I get to spend a week with Kim. I'm very excited.

- - -

My four-year-old just put himself to bed.

Strange.

- - -

We have spent the last two days cleaning out the garage. Faramir wants to start woodworking. He is going to start by building a bunk bed/loft bed combo for my three boys.

This? requires space, and that is something we lack in general.

We lack this space because the garage is our Blackest of Holes. It's the Oh-just-put-it-in-the-garage-until-we-have-more-time-to-deal-with-it space. I've had a laundry basket full of stuff in there that I put down there last time Kim came to live at my house.

So Faramir told me yesterday that we were going to go and buy a whole bunch of Rubbermaid totes and start packing and loading. And we did.

In the last 24 hours I think I have emptied 20 or so boxes.

Here's where things stand.

6 totes with various family members names on them, mostly 1/2 full but now the dump place for that particular family member.

2 1/2 boxes filled with paper to recycle. (That's only from what I went through inside in the last 24 hours. That's not counting the dishwasher box full of recycling outside)

1 small tote and one small box full of office supplies; paper clips, crayons, pencils, protractors, paper, folders, pens. . .thousands of pens. . .that all work, for some obscure reason.

1 box with obvious mouse droppings--which I find quite impressive actually. It really wanted the granola bar apparently. It didn't touch the bird seed.
1 half chewed granola bar.

One very large box filled with two very large bags of garbage--one of which was the pizza remains from last night. We ordered in so that we could keep cleaning.
1 garbage can filled to the brim with stuff. We are going to have to make a separate trip to the junkyard to get rid of the garbage, the broken chairs, and who knows what else.

4 boxes of stuff to take to the local thrift store.

A gazillion empty boxes. I have no idea how many Faramir emptied last night.

Three piles of stuff that I need to find a home for.

One completely covered living room floor.

4 batches of clean but unfolded laundry.

Enough space in our garage that we can walk now.

What was really sad about it all was how many boxes we had that were 1/2 full. It's not so much that we had all that much junk. Don't let me fool you, we had plenty, but a good portion of the space we were taking up was 1/2 full boxes.

When I get done with this post, I am going to be putting all of the office supplies away.

- - -

So I figured out the best way to reduce a room full of grown women to a blubbering mass.

Teach a lesson all about how much God loves us and that the center of our world should be His love, and that our every action should reflect that love. Make sure that the Spirit is tangible--since really you are only the vehicle.

And then pull the 8-11-year-olds in and have them sing I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus.

I promise it will work.

(If you want a completely different sound for this song, check out this version.)

- - -

Guess what I found in all of my cleaning! You never will, so I'll tell you. (Points to the person who can tell me the movie that that sentence came from.)

I found my list of musical Monday posts. I may start getting them down. It's an extensive list.

I'm very excited because this was something I really wanted to do but then I lost my list and could only remember a few.

- - -

Did I mention I'm going to Canada? We are going to Butchart Gardens and the Vancouver Temple open house and every thing! It's going to be so great!!!

- - -

And I'm going to StoryMakers. Yay for that and for hotel rooms so that I don't have to drag myself out of bed at 5 am and for seeing so many very cool friends. I'm so excited for that weekend I can hardly stand it.

- - -

It's going to be a busy April. I'm also making a quick trip to Nebraska. More on that later. . .possibly.

- - -

Wow, this is longer than I expected.

If you know The Snowman Song, you should listen to this and this. They make me happy.

I guess you can still listen if you don't know The Snowman Song, but they probably won't be as funny. Let me see if I can find a link. . .Here's one. Now it will all make sense.

- - -

Okay, really done now.
8 Responses
  1. Yay for Canada (Neil says we're so going to Victoria too - woot!)! Yay for Storymakers! Yay for..umm...frogs? I might have to think about that.

    I have no idea why but it cracked me up that all the pens work. Way to go dealing with so much mess in such a short period of time! I feel inspired!

    But not quite inspired enough apparently because I'm going to bed now...


  2. Emily Says:

    I love the feeling of purging. I read once, that if your mind is feeling mentally cluttered, one of the best things you can do for your house is declutter it. I don't know if it's true or not, but I always feel so good clearing things out!
    And I am very envious of all of your travel plans. I've always wanted to go to Canada, please take lots of pictures so I can see!


  3. InkMom Says:

    A few nights ago CPod and I made a list of all the things that need to be done in this house, down to reorganizing the bathroom cabinets and changing lightbulbs in the garage lights. It's exhaustive. And exhausting. It will take us ten years to finish it. But. BUT. Today, I crossed three items off of that list. Yay for getting things done!


  4. Kazzy Says:

    So many good random thoughts that I can't organize my comment...

    Yay for your trip to Canada!

    Good for you cleaning the garage. We don't have one, but if we did...

    I thinks frogs are cute. From a distance.

    And last, I too am a RS teacher, but I would love to sit in on one of your lessons. :) Do you do guests spots?


  5. Anonymous Says:

    I had a pet frog once. We called him Bog the Frog and he got ran over by a car. =[

    You're going to CANADA to see Kim?! How AWESOME! I'm so happy (jealous) for you! And really just happy. =]

    You're going to Storymaker's too? Oh, happy day! This is wonderful news!


  6. Congratulations on the cleaning! I'm inspired.


  7. Unknown Says:

    I thought you'd be more open to pets. You had a ton of them running around your back yard growing up. Or do those animals not count as pets?


  8. Heidi Says:

    Love the snowmen songs! Love that you are going to Storymakers b/c you deserve it--but bummed that I am not. So happy that you get to go to Canada and see Kim (AND Victoria--a place I was promised I would be taken when I stayed in Washington and was just a bridge drive away but wasn't taken to after all even though I typed up my law school brother in law's research paper)(it was a long time ago in the days of typewriters) but bummed that I don't get to go. Love that you are Kim get to spend a week together! Take pics please! Bummed that I didn't take a pic of the two of you together LAST April.