Dedee
I thought I'd post about another gift that I've been given this year.

It's the gift of willingness.

I'm in charge of music both in Relief Society (womens meeting) and for the ward choir. I actually play the piano in Relief Society, but I'm still in charge of picking the music. I had a really great chorister for a while, but she has stopped coming to any more than Sacrament meeting and asked to be released. So I'm without a chorister.

In choir, I had a couple of people come once and then never come again. I finally cornered one of them and asked if he would ever come again. He said that he probably wouldn't. I asked why. (I think I've blogged about this before.) The story came out that he doesn't read music and that I was moving too fast for him to be able to learn anything. I asked for a second chance and he said he would come back.

Enter. . .hmmm. . .what shall we call her?

Sue?

That's sounds like as good a name as any.

In Relief Society, I asked Sue to step in and help and she has very willingly been my chorister for months now. She doesn't have to do this. She just does because she is willing.

To solve my problem in choir I decided to have sectionals. I send the women in one room with, of course, Sue, and I stay with the men. The perks of having two pianists is that I can do this. I talked to Sue about this and again she was very willing to help. It helps me because I can rehearse the men until I'm blue in the face and the women don't have to sit around and get bored. In fact, the women are getting a ton better. The unexpected perk of dividing up is that our choir is suddenly about 100 times better. Yes, I still have the monotone bass whom I could never get rid of because his spirit makes up for every monotone note. But everyone else is improving exponentially.

But none of this would be possible without Sue.

She laughs every time I tell her how much I appreciate this, because she's like me. Nothing I've asked her to do is hard for her. She's a very helpful person in general. This isn't taking loads of her time. So she gives me a hug and kind-of brushes all of this off.

But I cannot even convey how much her willingness to help me has meant to me the last couple of months. I've had a few less that desirable responses from people and to have someone just be wholeheartedly okay with things and try to make my life easier has touched something deep down in my soul. I am so thankful for her and her attitude. Everyone loves her and the more I get to know her, the more I understand why.

I hope I can grow up and be like her in my life.
Labels: edit post
7 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Your heart is better than gold. You're platinum, baby!
    Seriously, what a beautiful post, Eowyn. It is this kind of gratitude and love that fills life and makes it whole. I'm so glad you've had the help you needed.

    Merry Christmas!


  2. That is just all kinds of lovely. People like that are such a gift, not just because of how they serve, but how they inspire others to want to as well. I want to be like her when I grow up too.


  3. Kazzy Says:

    I love people like Sue. They do what they can and what they are asked for the betterment of the kingdom. Awesome!


  4. Natalie Says:

    In my church calling (primary pres:P) I am faced with this every day-I see those are are more than willing to not only do what they are called to do-but more. And, unfortunately I see the other end of it. Boy, I have sure seen the blessings of doing the first-both to those who you serve and those who are serving. I now know that kind of person I want to be-the hard part is just getting there :)


  5. People like Sue are better than gold!


  6. Heidi Says:

    Ooh, I want to be Sue! Mostly I want to be close enough to hug you.


  7. I, too, hope I can grow up one day to be like Sue ... though I think you are a lot more like Sue than you think you are :) !!