Dedee
Early on in my blogging career when I tried a lot harder than I do now to have a lot of readers, I read a blog--can't even remember the name--where she used to post anthems. They weren't the traditional anthem--you know, the Star Spangled Banner type--but more songs that she went to when she was needing faith or a boost.

I listened to one of my "anthems" last night. As I listened I thought I would share with you some of my "anthems". Since I did five songs on my last music sharing thing, I thought I would share five of these, the anthems of my life. The songs that reach down in to my soul and make me try again.

1. I Hope You Dance by Lee Ann Womack



I love the actual music video for this, but I can't embed it. You can find it here if you want to watch it. It appeals to the hidden dancer in me. I realized as I listened to this last night that I have lost some of this. It was good to listen and be renewed.

2. When You Believe from The Prince of Egypt



When I first saw this scene I'm pretty sure I bawled the whole way through, and I still cannot listen to it without crying. (Btw, it must be the song from the movie. I dislike the popularized version--partly because you don't get the Hebrew chorus part that shows so much joy.) This song is a renewal to me on so many levels. I pretty much believe every word.

3. When You're Going Through Hell by Rodney Atkins



I first heard this song when Faramir's business was in the process of going down. I was driving through the intersection where his business was located on my way somewhere and I could barely drive because I was crying so hard.

4. With My Own Two Hands by Jack Johnson and Ben Harper



I found this one compliments of the Curious George movie. I love it. I do believe that two hands at a time we can make a difference in the world around us. I love that at the end it says that we can make a difference but only if we "use your own two hands".

5. I Am A Child Of God



I've blogged about this here.

I was going to put a bonus track in but I can't figure out how to make it work. Ah well.

What are your anthems?
6 Responses
  1. charrette Says:

    "Home By Another Way" by James Taylor. (It's about the Wise Men choosing not to follow Herod's instructions, but to follow heaven's directions, and taking a different route Home. It's there in the name of my blog. And one of the strongest themes of my life.)

    I'm sure there are a million more, but this is the first one that came to mind.


  2. Kazzy Says:

    I love When You Believe from The Prince of Egypt. Good choice.

    I love Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing. Great hymn about the natural straying of man (and woman), and the need for God to rescue us from ourselves.


  3. Man, my anthems aren't ever profound. I'm embarrassed to even admit them...

    Oh, wait! I really liked "Press Forward, Saints" when we were dealing with all the Prop 8 antagonism.


  4. I will have to think about this one. Some anthems are with me for life, others change as my seasons change.


  5. Anonymous Says:

    You have a lot of Anthems I share. I love "God bless the broken road" by Rascal Flats.


  6. Oh, lovely.

    I love all the songs in The Prince of Egypt, especially the one that Brian Stokes Mitchell sings--"Look At Yourself Through Heaven's Eyes."

    Me lovey that Ben Harper.

    My anthems?

    REO Speedwagon's "Roll with the Changes."

    "Come, Thou Fount," as arranged by Mack Wilberg.

    Mike Doughty's "I Feel Like I'm Looking at the World from the Bottom of a Well."

    "One Voice" by the Wailin' Jennys

    and "Oh, What a Beautiful Morning" from Oklahoma!