Dedee
How do I draw the color of frustration?

What words do I use to describe the way an Indigo sky touches my heart, or how a green and purple firework explodes down to my core?

How do I draw the color of fear, the hues of misunderstanding, the shades of happiness?

Color and words. Two things my life is bound by. And yet each, by themselves, lacks the ability to fully convey my meaning--to convey me.

I would, if I could, write the words on colorful paper.

I would paint my indecision on a palette of gray with raw orange-red letters of anger, painful to look at, damaging to feel.

There would be unknown shapes in fearful purple. . .or would it be yellow, a little color that urges the eye to only dwell on it?

My joy would be painted in sparkling white, with words of every color of the rainbow--bright, vibrant, living.

I would paint my sorrow in shades of green with bleeding crimson letters.

My belief would start black, then travel through all the shades of gray, and then would become white--all color.

My comfort would be lilac purple, and bread brown, and pizza sauce red, and prom dress turquoise.

Love would come in flesh tones with blue/gray/green/brown eyes and brown/blond/gray/black hair.

Desire would sometimes come in a sickly green. Or sometimes in flesh tones. Or sometimes in large bold letters, hiding behind mists of faded blue and purple.

Children's laughter would wiggle green on the page, like aspen leaves in the wind.

Impatience would be flat, dull, uninspiring. Peace would be soft, light, lifting.

Pain would have no color--deep searing blackness--momentary flashes of blinding white.

The colors would run across the canvas--fleeting. The symphony is every changing. You, the viewer, would see all. . .or none. The question is:

Would you see me?
Labels: edit post
11 Responses
  1. Kazzy Says:

    Cool thinking. Do you ever think about the way you visualize other things too? Like, how do you see the days of the week in your mind? Calendars? Etc. I love the idea you have of colors. Yellow is happy for me. Purple is vibrant and deep.
    Brown is calm.


  2. I will always see prom dress turquoise! :) It brings a smile. I also get wedding dress off white. Mmmmm. I just want to eat your colors and live happily.


  3. EEEEMommy Says:

    Beautiful!
    I see that you are beautiful!
    Seeing and expressing life this way is a gift you have. I could not have written this post, but I love to read it! :)


  4. charrette Says:

    Very descriptive. I see you vividly, because you've painted it all so beautifully in words.

    But it sounds like you've got a lot to say if you were ever placed in front of a canvas, too. Perhaps you should give it a try....



  5. Oh, wow, Eowyn. Me really, really likey.

    It reminds me of a book called "A Mango Shaped Space" that I read a couple of years ago. It's about a girl with a disorder called synaethesia, where a wire in her brain is crossed and numbers, words, and smells have colors aassociated with them. It's fascinating and a fun read.


  6. You blurred the lines between poetry and prose here. Beautiful. And I really, really want to give you a hug now.



  7. Anonymous Says:

    I would and do see you--and it is an honor. What vivid poetry, what sumptuous verse.


  8. Beautiful. You see life in such vivid colors.


  9. Wow. So wonderfully written. I think far too often we classify people (including ourselves) in just a color or two without seeing how deep they really are. We all are at least 32 flavors.

    And I would definitely see you :) !!