Dedee
Yeah, so I get these great ideas for posts, and then lose them a moment later when Tyrone goes yelling across the house, "I gotta go potty!" And then he runs.

Sometimes he runs towards me instead of the bathroom and I have to re-direct him. "Potty, remember? Run to the bathroom."

And then I'll have a glimmer of the post come back and start turning it over in my mind until "Mommy, would you please come wipe my bum?" Yes, he usually is that polite about it, although sometimes when I'm a little (a lot) slow his tone of voice gets a little more emphatic.

By then whatever glimmer of an idea I had has flown away like the torn pages of a book when I child runs past. . .

After the child has torn the pages to shreds, of course.

And that is my way of trying to say that the ideas have come and gone without sounding like every other person who ever gets on their blog and says, "I've had all these great ideas, but I can never remember them long enough to get to the computer" because Heaven forbid that I would want to sound like every one else.

I need to get over myself.

So, what's on my mind?

1--More resumes sent out. Still no decisions.

B--I am reading "Raising Your Spirited Child" by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka. Interesting book that. Not only have I already gained some insight into my struggling child but I'm finding things that are helping with some of the others as well. I wasn't exactly expecting that, though I probably should have since. . .well. . .ya know, they are kids and they all need help and instruction, not just the difficult.

One of the things that interested me about this book is my reaction to reviews--and people's reactions in general. I went on Amazon and looked at the reviews and there are, say (I'm guesstimating here) 100 reviews of the book. 75 of them are 5-star reviews. Then, say the next 10 are 4-star, then the remaining 15 are 3, 2, and 1 star, with probably about 5 reviews a piece. Then there is that whole "check here if this review was helpful to you" section. No-one checks on the 5-star reviews. 74 people check on the 1 star review--that this intensely negative review was quite helpful. I even read one person who commented back and said something to the effect of, "I always read the negative reviews carefully and by your review I have come to the conclusion that this book was not anything spectacular and to look elsewhere."

This astounded me. One reviewers intensely negative review made reader x not even look at the book.

Why?

Why, when 75 people who read the book gave it 5-stars, is it that one reviewer who has the power to make or break the book. Why do we not trust the 75 positive reviews and listen to the one negative? Are we that drawn to negativity?

This stuck with me for a bit. I read (not on Amazon) a scathing review of this book. And I wondered at myself. Do I need to change my opinion of the book based on one scathing review? No. But do I find myself wondering on occasion? "Why did I like it and other's didn't. Is there something wrong with me?" We have such a desire to fit in that sometimes we even doubt our own opinions. There have been times when I've watched a movie ~cough~Mr. and Mrs. Smith~cough~ based on one other person's positive review, in spite of the fact that I felt like I shouldn't watch it. I regret that I didn't listen to myself.

I'm not sure I'm very coherent on this. It's just something I've been pondering the last few days as I've read a book that I have already found immensely helpful, and wondered why other people didn't love it.

3--School's out. Summer's here. So much fun and so busy I cannot believe it. On Sunday before church, my weeks are fairly empty. By the time Monday morning rolls around, they have filled up. It's crazy.

D--I walked in to a material store recently and didn't purchase anything. I couldn't even decide on anything I liked enough to let my mom buy me a piece. What is wrong with me?!?!?

5--I've blown through many a book. I'm up to number 6 in "The Wheel of Time" series. I've read Fablehaven 4, and Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow, and the sequels (both of them) to Dragon Slippers. I've read lots more than that. I can't even remember them all. This morning I started to read a book about Custer's last stand. I thought it was going to be a book that would show the details and then talk more about the mythological proportions the story has taken. I wasn't. It's just a source book, ultimately. ~Snore~ I'm not finishing. I'm not writing a paper about it so I don't need sources. I need information and conclusions that I can argue with, not original sources.

Unless I decide to write a book. . .But not about Custer's last stand. It's over-done.

F--I have lots of cottage cheese and sour cream in my fridge. My mom gave me lots extra when she found out they had sugar added. She can't eat sugar. So, um, who puts sugar in their sour cream or cottage cheese. So very unnecessary.

7--I'm really trying to get to 10, but my mind is so fried.

H--Went the the art museum today. There's an exhibit by the guy who writes the I Spy books there right now. It was beyond cool. If you live in my neck of the woods, go. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it and how much time I wanted to sit and find things and stuff. I'm going to drag Faramir over because he will love it too, but I'm going without my kids. I want to be able to examine each picture in depth and they didn't want to spend as long as I did. Loved the Alice In Wonderland picture. I want that one, so if anyone wants to get me a gift because I'm cute and all . . .

9--I exercised this morning. That's an accomplishment for me of late. I'm really off.

J--I love how easily entertained my kids are. The novelty of the night is watching a movie they've seen a bazillion times. But they get to watch it on the couch bed! Amazing how just pulling out the hide-a-bed gives a whole new sparkle to watching a movie.

11--I passed 10.

L--I love talking to other people about my problems. Occasionally someone comes up with a solution that makes me feel dumb but makes me breathe a sigh of relief.

Case in Point. (What the heck does that mean? Is it some legal term or something?)

I have an obnoxious thumb nail that keeps cracking and cracking and generally not helping my life be any easier. I had a piece that was going to pull off today and I couldn't find the nail clippers anywhere. (Still can't.) So I was talking with the friend that I went to the museum with today (Hi Emily!) and I was complaining about my nail and how it would never stop cracking and did she have any super glue (she had just taken it out of her car the day before) and all that nonsense. She popped out with "Do you want to paint it with some clear nail polish. There's some on my seat."

I felt kind-of dumb. Hello! Clear nail polish would help. But no, I have to think of things like super glue and finger cots and band-aids and whatnot. I couldn't possibly think of clear nail polish. So, needless to say, my nails are all clear-coated and shall remain that way until my thumbnail decides to cooperate.

13--Charette, can you give me cookie lessons? I've made those oatmeal pecan luscious things 4 times now. . .or Faramir has. . .and I can't get them to do what you get them to do. What in the world am I doing wrong? Do you have any extra tips? Any additional ingredients? My soda fizzes in vinegar (which the internet assures me is proof that it's still good). We bought butter and used real butter instead of margarine-which made them 1 step better, but they still come out flat. Grrrr.

N--Cuz in spite of Mary Kay Ash's love of the number 13, I can't end on it.

Happy Days to you!
10 Responses
  1. Brillig Says:

    Oh. Mygosh. SO MUCH TO COMMENT ON! But, if I have to settle on just one thing, I have to tell you that you TOTALLY cracked me up with your alternating numbers and letters for your list. hahaha.

    Oh, and cookie lessons from Charrette? How awesome would that be?

    And I'm intrigued with the negative review thing too. I always wonder that too-- if I like something that someone else doesn't (even if a hundred people did like it) is there something wrong with me? It's messed up that we put ourselves through that, no?

    xoxox


  2. charrette Says:

    1. This is profound and definitely worth pondering in depth: "Are we that drawn to negativity?"

    B. Cookie lesson = eat many handfuls of dough until it's perfect, then bake.
    (just kidding, sort of.) But it would be really fun to have you come over and try a batch together. Maybe it's my convection oven?

    3. Pulling out the couch turns any boring video night into a total novelty. Popcorn spills are totally worth the adventure.

    D. I actually still love that book, Raising Your Spirited Child. It helped me see my children in an entirely new light, and my role in their growth and success.

    5. Love you!

    F. My numbers have zero correlation to the ones in your post, but I couldn't resist using them, just for fun.


  3. I am smiling SO hugely right now, because reading this post was like getting a big ole dose of you! We need to talk on the phone soon. Internet communication is great and all BUT.

    So yes. Call me!

    I need to get that book, and I so know what you mean about the reviews. I think it ties in with what I was thinking about the other day. How we like to be cynical because it gives us the illusion that we're smarter than everyone who's not. I think negative reviewers suffer from the same affliction. I highly doubt the people writing the really nasty reviews ever bother to review books they actually enjoy.


  4. Kazzy Says:

    Love the randomness and the spirit here!


  5. We went to the I Spy exhibit a few months ago and LOVED it. Wasn't it fascinating? I, like you, could have spent a lot longer there than my kids wanted to.


  6. Emily Says:

    Hurray for clear nail polish, and thanks for the book info. Totally going to get reading it. :)


  7. You are so GREAT.

    I know I'm not Charrette, but it sounds like you don't have quite enough flour in your cookies.

    Yes, butter. Always butter.

    I want to get one of those digital mini-dictaphones, because I always get really good ideas for books, stories, posts, etc. in the car and then completely forget them once I'm home.


  8. Anonymous Says:

    Dude, your recent reading list is just AWESOME! I know I'm geekin' out about it but I hardly ever get to hear about so many books I love in one sitting! You're awesome, Eowyn. Plain and simple.

    As for the negativity thing, I'd pontificate but my brain's zapped. Suffice it to say, I look at the positives. =]

    And cookie lessons? Sign me up. I can burn cookies that came ready in a box.


  9. Aquaspce Says:

    I always love these random blog posts of yours!


  10. You rock my friend! Love the letter/number post ... might have to steal that sometime. It is more fun than bullets.

    I didn't even finish your post before I headed to my local library site and requested that spirited book. Oh boy, do I ever need that. My four year old is driving me bonkers and I need some serious help. (Very interesting about the negative comment focus. I think we all do that to ourselves .... focus too much on the negative.)

    Cookie lessons? I am all over that.

    That I Spy exhibit sounds like a blast. My kids would love it. My 4 year old adores I Spy. While at the library today we found an I Spy DVD. Who would have thought?! He enjoyed it immensely when we got home.

    Looking forward to more book reviews.

    When I have hangnails, I like to use clippers, Neosporin and band aids. I will have to keep the clear nail polish in mind.

    My oh my I am long winded tonight :) !!