Dedee
Sometimes, I really wonder what world other people live in.

I get a weekly e-mail from Better Homes and Gardens with recipes in it. Today's headline?

Barbecue on a Budget.

I'm thinking, "Yeah, I'm on a budget. I'll look and see their suggestions."

And the first article is?

Are you ready for this?

Barbecue for 12 for under $100.00

$100.00?

For 1 meal?

Prepared at home?

Huh?

Their "budget" is a bit bigger than mine.

That comes close to 1/2 my food budget in a month. And, given that I'm my mother's daughter, I can certainly feed 12 people one meal with a whole lot less than $100.00. She regularly fed 11 on less than 10.00 a meal. Yes, she's Superwoman.

Apparently they don't serve dogs and burgers at their barbecues.
8 Responses
  1. Oh my. Yeah, I'm guessing Better Homes and Gardens isn't quite a hot dog sort of venue, but still!


  2. Anonymous Says:

    I laughed my butt off at the end of this post. =]


  3. Heidi Says:

    I keep reading these posts about wonder-women who feed their family on pennies. Pennies, I say! Of course I include everything in my food budget, from paper towels to fees for school field trips but still . . . we spend a lot on food. I went grocery shopping today and spent $230 for one week. One week!


  4. Kazzy Says:

    Yeah, when it comes to grocery shopping I can do some cheap meals for my brood and only spend about $300 a month.


  5. One thing that you have to understand is that the definition of barbeque is different where you live. What you're talking about is a "cook-out." Barbeque is serious meat that has been slow cooked and has a really distinct flavor. Can you tell that I live close to the south now? It's a big no no to say the wrong word here! :)


  6. charrette Says:

    Stuff like that floors me too. Especially in this economy. Last week I put on a barbecue for 20 (for the extended family, for Jeremiah's birthday), with stellar food, and it cost about $50. And I felt like I'd gone a bit over-the-top. :)


  7. Thanks for the giggle :) !! I suppose some peoples budgeting is not like ours. (Although I would love to hear Charette's menu for her BBQ!)


  8. Brillig Says:

    Holy Crappoly!

    Hey, if at some point you decide to throw that hundred-dollar barbecue, make sure you invite me! I'd love to see what that looks like! (Maybe the hundred dollars includes my airfare?)