Dedee
Yes, we finally have it. After a month and a half of bad customer service (from one store in particular) and popping in to many random stores, we have a Wii Fit. And here's my opinion after two work-outs.

The Wii Fit strength is definitely balance and toning. The balance games are fun and (at least for me) the yoga and strength training exercises really help. Keep in mind here that I'm about as flexible as a post and a wee bit on the wimpy side, so anything that forces me to work at it is good.

Another strength with the Wii Fit is the ability to track your progress. You can weigh yourself every day and get to stamp your day when you are done. It also has a way to set goals, so that you know what you are working for. That's good, and you can see your bar graph as you make progress.

The biggest weakness that I see with the Wii Fit is that the aerobic workouts, at least all of the ones I've done so far, are short. The very longest workout I've done was 10 minutes. I need more than that. If I really want to lose weight--I need some heavy duty work out time. Now, if I were very out of shape, this might be a good thing. I also suspect they made it super easy because they don't want anyone to sue them. However, I need more.

The other weakness also has to do with the shortness. I worked out, according to my bank, for an hour this morning, but because everything comes in 1-2 minute increments, mostly, it took me an hour and a half. I had to wade through all the scoring and hoorah every time, and that is just too time consuming. I'd like to see the ability to combine several yoga moves into one workout. I'd like the same with the strength training. Not being able to go more than a couple of minutes at a time is frustrating to me.

I almost forgot. The last thing that I really don't like about the Wii Fit is that it uses BMI to tell you whether you should lose weight or not. I'm surprised by this, as tis seems to me that there's been a lot of hoopla about that BMI is not necessarily accurate. I guess they need something to go on and maybe the BMI is it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. (It told one of the neighbor girls last night that she was over weight. She's 9. And she's not overweight. It's just her body. We told all three of the girls (my daughter and her friends) that the Wii Fit was geared toward adults and to not believe any of the BMI stuff. They are on it only to play the games. We wouldn't let them make any weight loss goals or anything. It's not for young girls.) So that's my final complaint.

So overall my sum up is, it's fun, but don't put the treadmill on e-bay. I'll let you know again in three months what I think then.
Labels: edit post
3 Responses
  1. Great review! I plan on getting this at some point (much to hubby's chagrin - what? another addiction?), and I'm glad to know to keep the kids away from the weight loss goal planning aspect of it. Definitely a danger!


  2. charrette Says:

    Thanks for the great review. This is high on our list too.


  3. So I knew that you were working on a new blog, but why did it take you so long to let me know where it was??? ;) I loved reading your violin story. I had no idea about the second half of the story. And to think back on it, that was the year we stopped doing crazy April Fools jokes. So sad.

    Also, I liked the rest of Artemis Fowl. And I think that your boys (and perhaps your girl) will like them. So you should read up on the series.