Dedee


I decided to be a photographer today--for about an hour. Mainly on my drive to and from the Museum of Art.

(I'd have been a photographer the whole time inside the Museum of Art except that they don't allow photographs and I didn't feel like asking for a permit. It was a lovely hour inside the museum. The paintings were beautiful. The photos were stunning. I even purposely chose the exhibit to end my time there that would make me think as opposed to the one that would make me feel good. It was lovely and kid free. And I purchased an O'Keefe print and a hiroshige print and a postcard by David Linn and some earrings.)

Ahem.

Back to the photography. I got my middlin camera and snapped shots as I drove through town.

It is a hard day for me to be a photographer. It's a gray, potentially stormy day that makes me want to stay inside and sip hot cocoa. It's also not quite spring. So, while the snow is gone, the world is all brown and boring--at least to the busy mom who can't stop to look at things. Add brown and boring to gray and dreary and I really didn't think I'd find much to take pictures of.

I was wrong.



I had some interesting thoughts as I drove along.

Photographers can't be in a hurry. I was consistently driving 5 miles under the speed limit and wishing that the people around me wouldn't care if I went about 20 mph the whole time.

It also helps to not have a specific destination in mind and preferably not a time limit. My errand was to go to the Museum of Art. But there were times when I wanted to reconsider that errand.



And photographers must occasionally get annoyed by the pictures they miss. I certainly did.

So, here you get a few pictures that I took today--along with a few thoughts. I'm not a professional. This is untouched life from a middlin camera.



The following picture is of an eyesore that bugs me every time I drive past it. I know they were trying to make it natural, but it looks so out of place. I mean, start with the size of the trees around it. (It's a cell phone tower, in case you can't tell)




I took this picture through the lens of my sunglasses. I was trying to get the rainbow in the head lights. I didn't in this picture, but I love it anyway. I'm a big fan of reflections in windows.



I know it says "LaVell Edwards Stadium" but look at the signs beneath that. I would title this picture "Whose Stadium?"



This picture makes me happy for reasons I have not yet discovered.



I love trees. The barrenness of these was all I could see. (Barrenness isn't the word I want to use, but the word I want would, unfortunately, cause my blog to get stopped by all your censors.)



I live in a beautiful place.

11 Responses
  1. Strangely, I spent part of my morning snapping pictures of our wind swept valley, wishing it weren't so brown and dull. And then I took in the whole of it and found the beauty as well.

    What an incredibly fabulous use of your time today. To really see the world around you and find joy in simple things!


  2. Yes, you do! What a fun journey.


  3. Serious mountain envy right now!!! And I'm moving to a flatter space than I live now, what am I going to do? At least here the trees make me pretend that I'm not missing anything. There I will know.


  4. Emily Says:

    There is truely beauty all around. I was just wishing this morning we were thru with this 'blah' part of the season. Thanks for the inspiration.


  5. Anonymous Says:

    The sky is mezmerizing. Beautiful pictures, Eowyn.


  6. I love the one with the helicopter the most, I think.


  7. Kazzy Says:

    I know where that fake tree is! So cool to think we live so close to each other. I need to take more pictures.


  8. Catherine Says:

    Love it. Good for you!


  9. Natalie Says:

    I HATE that fake tree! They aren't fooling anyone! Love those mountains. It is pretty around here. The cones made me smile..not sure why either. Maybe because they stand out against the background.


  10. Laine Says:

    Hi friend,

    Thanks for your birthday wishes, and notes on my blog. It makes me happy when I hear from you. :) I love you, and I loved seeing these photos and reading your blog posts today. Miss you, have fun in Canada (I think you're there right now..) elaine


  11. I need to get reacquainted with my camera (and my blog) again. Love the cell phone tree tower ... glad I get to see the real thing more often :) !!