Dedee

Greater love hath no friend than to bring her friend cookies.

I know, I know. It's a mix. But she really tried! First she had them ready and we weren't home. Then she made another batch and her 9 month old son fell down the stairs--scary! Then she made a batch and the chickens got loose and the neighborhood dog was terrorizing them and the cookies got burnt as the family chased the chickens. And then she made a batch and they fell out of the stroller and in to the mud. So she threw up her hands and bought me a mix.

And you know what?

I love it! I still feel her love. I still feel her desire to make my day brighter. It did make my day brighter. I saw the mix sitting on the front porch and started laughing because I knew that yet again some other freakish thing had to happen in order for her to have to resort to the mix. Then I got her e-mail explaining what had happened to not one but two batches and laughed even more because I don't think you could script things that perfectly.

She came over yesterday and we made zucchini bread. I found a delicious recipe and we had a good time making it and gabbing together. It's been a rough adjustment time school-wise for both of us and so it was good to be together.

Thanks and I love you too girl! (btw, in case you are wondering or need it, you left your vanilla at my house!)

--------------------

School time has been a rough adjustment here. Now that I know we have to adjust, it makes it easier, but this year has been particularly bad. There was 24 hour time period. . .lets just say it was bad. I found out that Seth is an actor and I snapped and it led to a 24 hour battle. I found out about the acting one evening and just yelled at him, I was so mad. The next day I actually didn't lose it at all. He stayed home from school and I acted completely indifferent and cool as a cucumber (except for once when I bawled my eyes out, but I didn't do it in front of him.) It seems to have worked because now he knows I'm all business. I don't really want to go in to more detail because I'd just like to forget the whole day.

--------------------

I love couponing! I cannot believe the deals I've found lately. The danger I'm going to get in is that it isn't necessarily a good deal if you don't have the money. I think I found out how cool it is and went a little hog-wild. I looked at my budget yesterday and realized that I need to reign things in. Budget! Budget! Budget!

--------------------

I've been super productive this week. Here's what I have done:
6 loaves of bread
6 loaves of zucchini bread
15 pints of jam
--3 blackberry
--4 blackberry/raspberry
--4 raspberry/currant
--4 plain raspberry
1 loaf of banana bread in which I supplemented my banana with applesauce because I only had one banana
1 batch of zucchini brownies--a pretty good recipe, but not as chocolaty as I'd like. I'd also recommend finely grating the zucchini. It's a bit obvious that it's in there as things stand now.

I've also gotten an oil change and done a lot of shopping.

Today is going to be equally busy. My nephew is getting baptized (something that happens when you turn 8 in the LDS religion). The baptism is at 10:00. Then it's off to lunch at a local restaurant and then a huge slip and slide party with root beer floats. Should be a great day!

I feel good about that!

--------------------

I need to get going, but I wanted to add this one last thought.

I was reading through St. John the other day and I came across this passage in chapter 15.

1 I am the true avine, and my Father is the husbandman.
2 Every abranch in me that beareth not bfruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he cpurgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
4 aAbide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
5 I am the avine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without bme ye can do nothing.
6 If a man aabide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
7 If ye aabide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall bask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
8 Herein is my Father aglorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
9 As the Father hath aloved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.

I've heard the comparisons to plants frequently. I was reminded of them again as I walked through my father's yard and saw his apple trees that have gotten blight and how he may lose them. The pruning analogy is very real to me because I have, myself, pruned trees.

The thing that struck me this time I highlighted in bold. God doesn't just want us to give him one batch of fruit and be done. He wants us to keep going. That verse, to me that night, was about keeping the faith and enduring to the end. Now, I'm sure this isn't news to anyone but me, but it really hit me the other night. God wants us to be healthy apple trees that will bear Him fruit year after year. He will prune the blight off, but He expects us to live on and bear more fruit after the pruning--until He is ready for us to come home.

God wants perennials, not annuals.

-----------------------

Happy days to you!
11 Responses
  1. "God wants perennials, not annuals." LOVE that!

    And the cookie story...oh my! I LOVE that she left you a mix, I think it's just the sweetest thing after all that trying.

    And MAN have you been productive!


  2. Unknown Says:

    Woah, you have been busy!

    My favorite it the cookies. What a nice friend to try so many times. :) Or at least to make up a good enough story.


  3. Kazzy Says:

    Hey, I want to be a healthy apple tree that keeps giving. Great analogy. And I love your opening "scriptural" quote! Man, you make me feel lazy!


  4. Emily Says:

    That is an impressive list that you have gotten done!!! You are a very productive woman, and I am seriously going to frame that phrase 'God wants perennials, not annuals', what a true statement, constantly working and constantly pruning. I'll keep constantly working and I am glad you are such an understanding friend, others would not have been so grateful for a cookie mix! :)


  5. Oh, I'm glad things are going better. You've been so productive! Fantastic. And I love your fruit insight.


  6. Anonymous Says:

    How I wish I could come live at your home and revel in the goodness that is you.

    Perhaps the comparison has been spoken of often but oh, how I needed to hear it. I am a branch, He is my vine, and together, I could bear fruit. Oh, how I needed to hear it.


  7. I love how you find such wisdom and insight in the midst of life's chaos. You inspire me. Truly.

    And the cookie story is just fabulous. Not that your friend had to go through all that, but that she was so determined - that's just awesome!


  8. Natalie Says:

    Ohhhh, I would rather have the mix any way-it makes it easier to enjoy the cookie dough :) And, I have recently fallen in love with the couponing thing...the other day we got free candy bars...FREE CANDY BARS!!!! I mean, free chocolate, you can't go wrong with that!! (ps, I told my husband you left a note on my blog for his blog-he said thanks :)


  9. charrette Says:

    How fitting is the fruit after fruit after fruit analogy with all your productivity.

    AND...I just had to tell you this because it will warm your little heart. The other day my husband asked Jeremiah to get some jam out of the fridge and he said we don't have any. Then Jordan argued, "Yes we do, it's that Trader Joe's jar right there." And Jeremiah said, "Well we don't have any of that GOOD kind!" :) You are so loved in our home.

    And finally, I must confess that I, too, have baked cookies with the intention of bringing them to you. Perhaps I should drop off a mix as well. (LOVE that story.)


  10. Brillig Says:

    Love the cookie story! What a dear friend she must be. I love that she finally gave up and gave you a mix. Hahaha.

    You're amazing. I hope things get easier SOON. In the meantime, I can't believe how well you're doing.

    I'd love to talk coupons with you... I used to teach couponing for Provident Living. Colorado doesn't have NEARLY the couponing possibilities that Utah did. It's the one thing (besides you and other dear friends, of course) that I miss about Utah!

    xoxoxox


  11. Your insights into life are chalk full of wisdom. I love the plant analogy AND the cookie story. What a dear friend you have.