Dedee
I read this meme on the site of the gracious Angel and I loved the thoughtfulness that it sparked in me. So I decided to do it. I'm against passing meme's on, so if you want to do it, feel free. If not, don't bother.

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? I could go with the sneaky answer and say that I turned 33, but that might be cheating. Oh well, I guess I'll go with filing for Bankruptcy. (Hopefully never again.)

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Nope. Not really on last years. I had a goal to lose 25 pounds and got down 10, which is an improvement, but not what I want. Here's to another 10 this year!!! I actually have a whole pile of resolutions and goals. I'm tired of being aimless.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Do my neighbor and the lovely Catherine count? If so, yes.

4. Did anyone close to you die? My cousin. He was 49 years old and had Down's Syndrome. His funeral was one of the most enriching, beautiful experiences of my year. He was universally loved because he universally loved.

5. What countries did you visit? Countries? Oh wait. . .I did go to Canada last year to see Kim. Other than that, Las Vegas is about it.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? Stability.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? The day in January when we filed for bankruptcy, a date in March that I will not reveal the date of or the why, the day in November when we found out Faramir lost his job. And the moments. Moments of joy with family. Moments of peace. Moments of pure misery. It's all there.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Finishing a quilt that I started 5 years ago. A wonky star Christmas quilt for my mom.

9. What was your biggest failure? losing my temper

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Not out of the ordinary head colds and such. My kids sure spent a lot of time sick though.

11. What was the best thing you bought? Books. Lots of them. Piles of them.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Seth. Anytime he is able to keep his temper, it's a cause for celebration and he's doing much better.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Me. Myself. And I.

14. Where did most of your money go? Rent. Bleh.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Faramir sleeping out for "Wicked" tickets. I know that it hasn't officially happened yet, but the fact that he slept out for them in December. . .

16. What song will always remind you of 2008? See the post below. "If You're Going Through Hell"

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer? (a) sadder right this moment, (b) thinner, (c) richer.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Play with my kids, and putting puzzles together and sewing.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? wasting time on the computer (sorry)

20. How did you spend Christmas? Christmas morning was at our house. I quietly watched the kids open gifts. It was a hard season for me. The afternoon was at my parents house with an abundance of family.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008? Yes; it's amazing to me when even after 13 years of marriage I manage to fall in love with my husband all over again.

22. What was your favorite TV program? Extreme Makeover Home Edition, though I'm enjoying All Stars of Dance (I know, I know. That's this year, but I've broken the rules already.)

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Nope Thankfully. There were moments. But I'm over them.

24. What was the best book you read? The "Mistborn" Series by Brandon Sanderson, phenomenal adult fantasy.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery? Mole People. I had the cd before, but it was fun to have my kids discover it with me.

26. What did you want and get? I lost a person for a while, but they are back.

27. What did you want and not get? stability--thought I had it. It's gone.

28. What was your favorite film of this year? Oi. I don't like films. Most of them anyway. I can't even remember what all I've seen, and what I remember I didn't like. I'll update this if I remember.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? 33 and I really can't remember. It wasn't that memorable. Oh wait, I made myself a delicious steak and potatoes dinner. Yumm!

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? A housekeeper. (On occasion I have kept Angel's answers and this one I couldn't possibly change.)

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? Um, smaller (meaning I'm smaller) and thinning. I want to look good modestly so that teenagers can (maybe) see me and be reminded that they can be in style and modest too.

32. What kept you sane? The Holy Spirit, God's grace, and Jesus. (Couldn't have said it better myself Angel!)

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Who uses the word "fancy" anymore in this sense (Again, couldn't have said it better)? Really, I can't think of anyone to use in that context. I mean, Brad Pitt and Daniel Craig are hot, but do I really fancy them?

34. What political issue stirred you the most? Um, must I? It would be a long post.

35. Who did you miss? I missed LOTS of different people all year long. There are pieces of my heart scattered all over the country (Yet again Angel, what a perfect answer).

36. Who was the best new person you met? Charette for sure.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. That God loves me and will stand by me. I know I've learned it before, but it seems that I have to learn it again and again.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. Wait, didn't we already do this with the song? Just go listen to the song in question number 16, okay?

Happy New Year to you!
Labels: edit post
7 Responses
  1. Heidi Says:

    So . . . we filed for bankruptcy when I was about your age. It is very survivable, in fact, necessary to survive. I know you know that. Anyway, one of the best financial decisions we have ever made.


  2. Bless Heidi for that comment. Just bless her.

    Loved reading this. Simply loved!


  3. EEEEMommy Says:

    I so enjoyed reading this post! Love you, friend! :)


  4. Aquaspce Says:

    Great list! I love the honesty of both trials and blessings. Thanks for sharing!


  5. Laine Says:

    love you dedee. lots.


  6. I normally am not a meme person, but I really like this one. Just the other day I was telling myself I need to write down some memories of 2008.

    Here's to a happy, healthy and successful 2009!

    (Hopefully we will get to meet some time!?!)


  7. Mrs4444 Says:

    I share your #36. Charrette is a gift :)