Dedee
Here's my weekly sum up. I realized as I was typing last week, I needed to add in a how well I thought the book was written, not only who in my family I'd let read it. So I'll add in a 1 to 5 scale. 1 being I hated it. And 5 being excellent. All biased and personal of course.

Pendragon 4 and 5. I'm really loving this series. Did I say that last time? I had read books 1-3 and thought, "Great, now I know the plot to all the rest!" Then I read book 4 and then book 5. Totally unexpected twists came at me in each of the books and made me even more excited to keep on with the series. However, I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more for a few weeks. (We'll see how long that lasts!)Giving them a 12-14 and a 5

Widow's Revenge--This is book two in the Serpent Tide series. This has been a fun read. It's a strange series. It's a bit out of my usual fare in that it's more a mystery/thriller for kids than fantasy. I wonder if I can really classify it as a mystery/thriller. How do you classify something that is not fantasy and has kidnappings and robberies and guns and stuff? No gore. Not sure how to classify it. Anyway, I give it an 8. My son's reading it and he's fine. I also give it a 4. Fun read, but I'd rather read Pendragon, frankly.

A Hat Full of Sky and Wintersmith by Terry Prachett. These have been interesting reads, but I can only do so much Prachett at a time. I do better with reading 1 or 2 of his books and then leaving him alone for 6 months or so. I find I enjoy him more that way, so I've had my Prachett fill for this six months. I have enjoyed books 2 and 3 of the Tiffany Aching adventures. I don't love them but I do enjoy them. And I love Rob Anybody and his cohorts. I still give these two a 12 and a 3 1/2. There were a few references that I hope that my daughter doesn't get the first time she reads them. But over all, fun.

BTW, I just read that Terry Prachett has been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's. That will be a loss to the world if he is unable to keep writing.

In reference to Wednesday's post, I am trying to read less. I'm still reading. In fact I'm in the middle of Diamond Back Cave (Book 3 of the Serpent Tide) and The Last Apprentice. And, like I said, who knows how long my resolve to wait on the next in the Pendragon series will last. I'm just trying to get other stuff done as well.

What have you read this week that you recommend? I'll take anything. Give me some ideas and I'll add them to my wish list!
Labels: edit post
2 Responses
  1. I can't recommend anything at the moment because I'm deep into the books you recommended to me. I'm loving Mistborn to itty-bitty bits, by the way.


  2. charrette Says:

    My 9-yr-old just started the Pendragon books. Sounds like I'll have to steal them when he's finished.