Dedee
As I was puttering about my house this morning getting things done I had a thought.

Yes, I know, stop the presses, right?

~grin~

What was amazing though is that when I thought this thought, that I've thought so many times before, the emphasis came in on a different word, and suddenly the thought is new again.

In the LDS church there is an oft quoted verse found in the Doctrine of Covenants (modern day scripture revealed to Joseph Smith).

I love this verse.

Doctrine and Covenants 101:16
Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God.

I love the admonition here to be still. I don't think it's something we do very well as a society, and it's certainly not something I'm very good at myself.

My mom always liked to have noise as background. Towards the end of my time as a child living in my parents house the TV was always on to an old movie or an old show. I think I came away from this needing noise of my own. It also translated in to not wanting to be alone. I still struggle with that. I'm working on the be still part. That's the one most emphasized in the LDS church. The be still and have faith part. Relax. Don't fear.

This morning as I was thinking though, the emphasis came to me on the I part. So, let me re-write it, changing the punctuation just a little.

"Be still, and know that I am God."

Implicit in this emphasis is the fact that God is God, not me.

I wonder how often I try to be "God"--all knowing, all powerful, full of wrath and fury (Old Testament) and doctrines of salvation?

We are commanded to be perfect, even as God is perfect, but we are also assured that the full process of perfection cannot be completed in this life. Jesus Christ did not refer to himself as perfect until after He was resurrected.

I suddenly feel like I'm babbling. I'm not exactly sure where this is leading me, but I felt this thought so powerfully this morning.

It is faith, but for me it seems like faith on a whole new level. That I don't have to do it all. That I can rest in the Atonement of Christ. I can be still in faith and peace and know that He is God, not me.

- - -

On a related note, an author(ess) that I love is GG Vandagriff. She has a lovely blog and some lovely books. Her book, The Last Waltz, won the Whitney award for historical fiction. I loved it. I've read it twice now.

That's not quite the related note, however. On her web page she has posted an article entitled GG's jottings April, 2011. I read it this morning and was moved by it. I love her thoughts on marriage and the sacredness of covenants. I was particularly moved by her thoughts on the fact that God can reach us in our darkest hours, and that those times are strengthening to us. She also bears testimony to the truth of the scripture about "my yoke is easy and my burden is light". Please go read it. It dovetails in quite nicely with my thoughts above.
9 Responses
  1. Wow. That emphasis really does make it a new thought, and a ponder-worthy one at that.

    I try to be God too often in my own life. To think that I can figure it all out on my own.

    Thanks for the thought-provoking smack upside the head. I needed that today.


  2. I love it when a scripture speaks to me anew.


  3. Kazzy Says:

    WHat great reflections on a beautiful scripture! I am so bad at being still. I really need to work on this. Thanks for the reminder.


  4. Nice ponderings, love.


  5. Brilliant insight. I am so glad you shared it. I think I, too, often ... way too often ... try to control things that I should leave in God's hands. Thanks for sharing!


  6. Heidi Says:

    I had a similar epiphany when I was nursing my youngest. I was too darn tired to read while nursing which is what I usually do so I was watching a lot of TV. Then we moved and hadn't moved the TVs over to the new house and I was nursing him in total silence. It was amazing to me how many awesome thoughts I had and little bursts of inspiration. I realized I had been tuning that out way too much.


  7. Lesa Says:

    I am new to your blog. I loved reading your post, you are a great writer.


  8. Anonymous Says:

    It's that stillness. I struggle with the stillness too. I've heard it said that people who need noise aren't comfortable with themselves and sometimes I think that's it. I have to remind myself to take the time for stillness.

    But one place I always hear God? In the wind. I don't know why but when I feel it rushing around me, whipping to and fro, I hear this small voice. It's wordless and whispered but I hear it and it brings tears to my eyes. For some reason, it just makes me think He's saying, "I'm here. I have not forgotten you."


  9. Aquaspce Says:

    In a world where we're all about elevators, fast food, driving five minutes down the street, rushing out the door, hurry, hurry, hurry up! All the time it is refreshing to STOP! and be still. I find when I actually take Time, I forget less, I enjoy more, and I'm way more relaxed. A great reminder Eowyn, thank you!