Dedee
One of these things is not like the other.

And honestly, I was a bit saddened to find that out this week.

Let's see, what do they all have in common?

Fantasy.

Epic fantasy, in the case of three. And Terry writes about the same place in a goodly number of his books, and even uses several of the same characters, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to call him epic fantasy, would it? (Yeah, I know it's a stretch, but bear with me. You'll understand soon.)

But I must say farewell to one of these men. Because, frankly, if I ever read another "with no hint of a smile" again I'm going to puke.

David Eddings was my introduction to adult epic fantasy--about 13 years ago. (Lord of the Rings doesn't count. That's just a completely different thing for me.) I loved it. I giggled my way through The Belgariad and The Mallorean. I suffered my way through The Elenium and The Tamuli--they were a bit too bloody for me. I wended my way through The Dreamers and The Redemption of Althalus. I love Polgara and Belgarath when they first came out, and I adored The Rivan Codex. I thought I had found a true mate.

I returned to The Belgariad many times over the years.

Whilst living in Oregon, Kim introduced me to the master of British Humor--Terry Prachett. I giggled my way through his books, continually amazed by his wittiness. (I will put this disclaimer in here. I can only two about two Prachett books a year. Then I'm done with his humor. But keeping it at two books a year sends me in to gales of laughter when I read. Kim bought me a quote book last year for Christmas and I am usually crying I am laughing so hard by the end of it. In fact, Kim is responsible for all five Prachett books I own. Thanks Kim.)

And then, just a short year or so ago, someone introduced me to Brandon Sanderson and Elantris. I believe the word here is devour. Right before that I had just started The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Elantris reminded me of a scene in the first book of The Wheel of Time series so it didn't come as a surprise to me when I found out that Brandon Sanderson was picked to finish the series.

I'm currently stuck at book 6 of The Wheel of Time because the library has managed to lose all three copies that they own, and I can't afford to finish buying the series. (We currently own 1-3.) I've devoured my way through Elantris a second time and all three of The Final Empire series. (Mistborn to those who don't know.) I'm halfway through book two of that for the second time. And you know I just recently read Warbreaker for the first time and loved it.

Good times to be had by me.

I was at the library last week and I decided, since the library had lost book 6 of Robert Jordan, that I would pick up some Eddings again. He's an old friend right?

Sorry Eddings. I have enjoyed you in the past, but you have been surpassed.

I think the concept of the bad guy in this series was interesting--a bug basically, with only the thought of making new bugs as motivation to take over the world.

It just fell flat for me. What I found hilariously funny 13 years ago just annoyed me now. The story felt repetitive. The characters all seemed the same. Terry, Brandon and Robert have ruined David forever for me.

I might try The Belgariad again in a few years, since I think that is his best, but for the time being, Eddings is out the window.

And you can blame my inner editor for that.
8 Responses
  1. charrette Says:

    I'd like to read some Terry Prachett. In fact I think I picked up one of his books at the bookstore the other day...but since I couldn't decide between the eight i was holding, I put them all back and went home empty handed. (True)

    p.s. Lunch. Friday. You. Me. Brillig.


  2. Heidi Says:

    The inner editor has destroyed all fiction for me for the time being. Very sad. I never liked David Eddings but I have to admit I have never tried any of the others. I'm almost afraid to try--I don't have time for devouring. Hey, is Brillig in Utah? I wish I was . . .


  3. I am so totally in sync with you on this. Except that I can read Pratchett non-stop, over and over.

    Lunch with Brillig! I am chartreuse with envy. Kiss her gorgeous face for me, please. I'll ask her to do the same to you.


  4. Anonymous Says:

    You and I have VERY similar taste. My first love was Robert J., then Brandon, and sadly, I haven't read Pratchett. I shall have to try it. ;)


  5. Kazzy Says:

    One of my sons is soooo into Pratchett. Then my husband got an audio book too and the two of them were all Pratchett, all the time for weeks. Sanderson and Jordan have been big around here too.


  6. What do you think about Paolini and the Eragon series? I don't remember if you've done a review on him or not.


  7. I think it can't help but be a melancholy event when we let go of some of the cherished books from our past. Growing up is hard to do in a literary sense too, but oh so fulfilling, yes?


  8. I've never read much Eddings. I gave up on Jordan around book 7 and decided to wait until the whole series is done before I pick it back up again. New to Sanderson but one of my current favorites.

    And I read one Pratchett book but just didn't. . . love it. I'd love to try again. Could you suggest two or three titles I should give a shot?