Dedee
(I've been slacking a bit in my health goals. I'm typing this to re-motivate myself. If you don't want to read about weight loss today--feel free to skip this post.)

So I guess it's time to come clean.

Hi, my name is Eowyn (Well, not really, but ya know!) and I'm losing weight.

2 1/2 years ago I weighed in at 155 lbs--give or take a pound or two.
This morning I weighed in at 132.7--give or take.

Did you read the title? Did you? Please don't hate me!

So, the top 10 things I've learned through this. . .

10-a-It's not a temporary fix. It's a life change. Dieting for a month or two, or exercising for a month or two and then stopping doesn't help. I am making a change that will be forever.
10-b-It's hard! I don't wanna get up at 5:15! I wanna eat my pizza whenever I want! I don't wanna! (To be read in a very whiny voice.)

9-a-Exercise makes me feel better--much less likely to get panic attacks that way.
9-b-If I go to bed at midnight or later too many times in a row, I will not even hear the 5:15 alarm clock and then exercise is out the window. Get to bed girl!
9-c-If it doesn't happen before the kids wake up--chances are good it won't happen.

8-Being able to chase my kids across the neighborhood and not feel like I just ran a marathon is kind-of nice.

7-Going shopping because my clothes are too big feels good. . .very, very good. (I'm actually excited to go swim-suit shopping.)

6-The first 10 pounds, nobody noticed. The second 10--everybody noticed. (I would imagine this is proportional. I watch The Biggest Loser and there was one guy who weighed in over 300 pounds and you still couldn't tell when he had lost 45 pounds. It wasn't obvious. But I bet if he loses another 45, every one will be able to tell.)

5-Sometimes it's easier to think one day at a time instead of the rest of my life. (Yes I know, it's a direct contradiction to number 10--but one day at a time turns in to the rest of my life.)

4-I really wasn't eating enough vegetables. I now pretty much eat a tomato a day and my body starts to tell me when I haven't been eating enough salad and such.

3-a-Calories in/Calories out. Counting calories has changed my life.
3-b-My apple crisp recipe isn't as healthy as I thought it was. ~pout~
3-c-I can still eat good food counting calories--just have to eat less of it.
3-d-Weeks two-and-a-half to four were horrible. I wanted to throw my shoe at the computer even though I was losing weight. I wanted so badly to eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted that I was done. Done with this whole calorie counting crap! I didn't even care that I was losing the weight. Week five is when it finally got easier. Thank heavens (and my cheerleader) I stuck with it.

2-a-Having a cheerleader/partner-in-crime helps a ton!
2-b-genetics helps. (My mom is the same size now as she was in high school--but she eats like a mouse. My dad is the same size as he was in high school--but he works like a horse. However, I know that for some people what I have done is much more difficult than it was for me.)

And the number one thing I've learned is. . .(drum roll please!)

I'm in control, not my stomach.

A year and a half ago I was in The Valley of Fire (state park an hour or so outside of Vegas). (If you knew me when, you will remember these posts.) The treat of the day was mint Oreos.

Umm. . .Did you know that I like mint and chocolate together?

A lot!

So I made some crack about "I can't resist" and grabbed a couple.

My mom looked at me and said, "Who's in control Eowyn? You or your stomach?"

It felt like someone had hit me in the head with a 2x4.

I only ate two, and found that I didn't enjoy them all that much anyway. If I'm going to waste my calories, it had better be good--and mint Oreos, while good, weren't that good. (York Peppermint patties, on the other hand. . .Or Swiss chocolate. . .Or Charette's Oatmeal Macaroons (which are nothing like Macaroons) are worth it. . .or homemade ice cream. There are lots of things better than mint Oreos.)

It's taken a year and a half for that lesson to really sink in, and I promise there are still days when it's like I never learned it. But the idea that I didn't have to do everything my stomach told me is now implanted and cannot be forgotten.

In January of this year I decided that I'm tired of being a pansy. Tired of being the last one up the mountain. Tired of the comments (I know--some of you are saying, "Who's making comments about 155 pounds?!?" Um, yeah, I'm the biggest girl in my family. . .was.) Tired of knowing what I could look like and still eating the cookies. Tired of the guilt that followed me as the scale would work it's way back up. I'm tired of every one/thing else having the control.

7--ish pounds to go.

Disclaimer--There are lots of different reasons that people gain weight and lose weight. I know women that would give their eye teeth to be 10 pounds heavier. I am not one of those women. I do not have many emotional issues to deal with. I am an emotional eater--or the weight wouldn't have been put on--but it's more a recreational emotional eater, not a deep-seated, professional emotional eater. My lack of self control days do not total 3500 calories in a binge. It's just an extra 600 calories of cookies or what not.

I am not saying that my journey will be the same as yours . I recognize that there are so many factors involved--many of which I don't have to deal with--thyroid issues--bad reactions to birth control, depression, etc. . .I guess I'm trying to say that we are all different and . . .well. . ."results may vary". What I am saying is that the end result is worth it.

And, well, Yes, I noticed there were a lot more than 10 things. I've learned a lot.
13 Responses
  1. I was just sitting here reading blogs in an effort to avoid the gym. And I needed this kick in the pants. I'm such a stress eater and if I can just get through this week without gaining, then I can refocus next week on losing. So thanks for the reminder and the pep talk.


  2. Heidi Says:

    You are so darn thin and adorable, I can't believe you weigh even 132 pounds! I also count calories and it really works for me. Like you, I eat as recreation, as a treat, as a way to have some fun. This is esp. true when going out to do anything isn't in the cards b/c of money or babysitting or whatever. And going out to eat? It's way fun but forget it! Who wants to pay all that money for a salad? So, dieting really is a drag and the fact that it's for life is very sad to me. My stomach, though, is not the problem--it's my tongue! (I love mint chocolate more than any flavor on earth!)


  3. Kazzy Says:

    Hey, congrats! That is such an awesome accomplishment! I only saw you for a few minutes a few weekends ago in PG, but you are certainly very svelte!


  4. Anonymous Says:

    This is a very motivational post for me. Hopefully, I'll have good things to report soon.

    Congratulations on your journey! I'm proud of you.


  5. EEEEMommy Says:

    Atta girl!! I'm so proud of you for making positive choices and sticking with it! I loved this post. Especially #1!! 132 would be a very healthy weight for me. Thanks for sharing what you learned with us! :)


  6. You are just fabulous - don't apologize for the fact! You worked and struggled and are seeing the results and anyone who gives you a hard time about is just jealous.

    I know I am. =P


  7. Emily Says:

    You Rock, and you have made such great choices, and our teaching your children great healthy lifestyle principles.
    As with so many things, thanks for sharing what you've learned.
    ps-still looking for that stuff. But we do need to get together soon! :)


  8. Laine Says:

    you are inspiring Eowyn. Thanks for sharing this post. And yay for you!!!!!! You are awesome!!!!!!!!


  9. Aquaspce Says:

    Awesome post Eowyn and GOOD FOR YOU! I've started Eating Clean and it's the best thing I've ever done! My weight had crept back up to 143 lbs and I was tired of it, in a week and a half, I've lost 4 pounds. Plus, I heart chocolate chip mint ice cream...


  10. Vincetastic Says:

    Hey Eowyn, this top ten list is fantastic. I think your list has a lot of great recommendations to help people shed some pounds. Will power and consistency are so important, but sometimes you need some outside help. I thought your advice on having a cheerleader or partner in crime is the most effective way to stick with it. My friend and I had a competition and even put a little money on it, to see who could lose a higher percentage of body weight, and it worked! You can post this to our site http://www.toptentopten.com/ and link back to your site. We are trying to create a directory for top ten lists where people can find your site. The coolest feature is you can let other people vote on the rankings of your list.


  11. charrette Says:

    I totally wanted these secrets in writing, because you look fabulous, my dear. Trying so hard not to be jealous! Better to be inspired, right?

    I AM pretty good at looking at something and deciding whether or not it's "worth the calories".


  12. Woo-hoo! I am doing a HUGE happy dance for you. You must feel amazing, not so much for the weight loss (though that is incredible, too), but just for the will power you have put forth for 2 1/2 years. You are my hero! Thanks for inspiring me to want to lose the last few I have on me.

    (And if you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? And are you going to post some pictures of you ... or at least send them to me via email ... can you tell how thrilled I am for you!!)


  13. This is a really big deal!!! It IS hard and it does totally stink to be consistent, but you're doing great! I love how you said "I am in charge, my stomach isn't." That will be running through my mind-thank you!