Dedee
Decided to make something that you usually buy at the store, made it, and then promptly wondered why you ever bothered buying it?

Case in point.

Pitas.

I have been buying pitas for a long time now. My kids like the novelty of putting their sandwiches in between their bread and I have a yummy recipe that I make with them. I usually have to buy two bags at a time to feed my crazy eating family.

Well, with our finances being out of control crazy for the last couple of years, I decided to try and make them. I got the recipe from "Cookin' with Home Storage" by Vicki Tate. The recipe was submitted to the book by Jill Hanson.

Dissolve 1 Package of yeast in 2 1/2 cups of warm water. (For those of you who don't know, 1 package of yeast equals 1 tablespoon.) (I had to look it up.)

Add 2 teaspoons of salt and 5 1/2 cups of flour. The recipe calls for wheat flour. I use half wheat and half white.

Mix and knead by hand for 10 minutes on a floured surface. Let rise until double in size. Divide into balls the size of walnuts. Roll into circles 1/4 inch thick. Let stand 10 minutes. Bake on un-greased cookie sheet 6-8 minutes at 450 degrees F.

How's that for easy!?!

You do have to let them rest, or they don't pop (pop meaning they separate in the middle). I usually have about a 75 percent pop rate. The ones that don't pop we just use as pizza crusts or a regular piece of bread. The ones that pop. . .They get used for all sorts of things.

Here's our favorite pita recipe.

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts-cubed.
3/4-1 cup of Italian dressing mix. (I'm partial to Balsamic Italian vinaigrette myself.)
2 cups cooked rice. (This is a good way to use leftover rice.)

Cook the chicken breast cubes in the dressing. Add enough rice to absorb the dressing but not too much that it's dry.

Stuff your pitas.

Top with olives, chopped tomatoes, shredded Mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese and shredded lettuce.

That's it.

Really.

So, go make your own pitas. You can make them in any shape you want. I accidentally ended up with a square one this last time and it was swiped by Seth pretty quickly. They are easy to make and this one batch lasts my family a couple of meals.

I love it! I love easy and saving money!
Labels: edit post
10 Responses
  1. Heidi Says:

    You are an inspiration!


  2. WOW. This is so cool--I didn't know making my own pitas was an option. I imagine if I do it they'll be all stuck together, but it's worth a try if it's simple :)


  3. Aquaspce Says:

    My sister Nancy makes Pitas all the time. Oddly enough, she found it harder to make tortillas than to make pitas.
    I occasionally get it into my head to make perogies by hand. Then afterwards, I'm like, AHHHHH why!?! It really is time consuming and if you count the labor costs, it's cheaper to buy them in the store.
    Glad your Pitas turned out, I might brave this recipe :)


  4. Jewel Allen Says:

    *Stuff your pitas* sounds kind of funny :-)

    I have never fed my kids pitas before. It's just never occurred to me!! I will have to give them a try some time.

    Found you at Bloggers Annex :-)


  5. My friend Jenn makes these and I've been meaning to try - thanks for the extra kick of encouragement. You rock!


  6. Catherine Says:

    Actually, with me its normally the opposite - I make the thing I normally buy, then say "this is not really cheaper than buying it, and way harder. I'm never doing this again."

    But...you know me. :)


  7. Anonymous Says:

    Wow! That would be fun to try.


  8. Aquaspce Says:

    did I ever tell you how much I enjoy reading your posts?
    If not.
    I thought I would.
    Have a good day!


  9. EEEEMommy Says:

    My kids love pitas. I must try this!
    I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!


  10. Laine Says:

    sounds sooo yummy!!