Dedee
Can you believe it?!?

But what a two books they were!

Mistborn 3: The Hero of the Ages by Brandon Sanderson

And

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Oh me! Oh my!

I will without a doubt tell you that I think the Mistborn trilogy is one of the best written fantasy series to be written. Wow! Wow! and Wow! My numbers are 16 and 5. This series is a bit bloody for me, but I have a very low tolerance for that sort of thing. The Hero of the Ages completes the story of Vin and Elend and believe me, in a million years, I'm pretty sure you cannot figure out how it will end. Towards the end of the book I just gave up and decided to ride the roller coaster of surprises. The highest praise I can give this series is that the minute I closed book 3, I wanted to go back and read them all again. I haven't read a lot of books recently that I'm dying to get back in to. If Faramir hadn't decided to re-read the first two before reading 3, I'd be done with them again. I can't do it because he has the book right now. Wow!

The Book Thief, on the other hand, I have no desire to read again. I give it 14 and a 4 1/2. I found this book extraordinarily well written. I found it pulling me in and ripping my insides to shreds. This is a book about Nazi Germany narrated by death and telling the story of inside Germany and how the war effected them. There were times when the prose was poetic. I loved the use of colors in the book, and I loved the importance attached to words. It is book full of impact. And yet, like so many other books like that I've read (George Orwell's 1984, for instance) I have no desire to read it again. It was dark and a little bit gory. I only gave it a 4 1/2 for that reason. There were times when my stomach heaved. Another wow! for completely different reasons. (And my copy of the book will sit in my big box of books I'd like them to wait to read until my children need it for English!)

I'm at a bit of a loss right now on what to read next. Ranger's Apprentice 5 comes out next month. In the meantime, I'm going to hit the library this weekend. Still so much to read!
Labels: edit post
6 Responses
  1. Emily Says:

    I'm so excited to keep up and get book reviews through your site! I can't wait!
    ps-your vacation looked heavenly!


  2. Can't wait for Mistborn 3! I love that the story isn't at all predictable and agree that it's one of the best written series I've encountered in a long time.


  3. I've read The Book Thief...four times, I think. At least. It's one of my very favorite books. :)


  4. Aquaspce Says:

    Hey there! Thank you and, you're very sweet.
    PS
    I love your new blog look :)
    PPS I might look into The Book Theif, thanks!


  5. I could have written this post word for word about The Book Thief. I think it's a book everyone should read once and then never read again. It's just beautiful. It's still sticking with me a year after reading it. I was fascinated that it's an angle in history we don't usually see.


  6. Melissa Says:

    I've never heard of the Mistborn series. Now you have me intrigued! I wanted to let you know (since you obviously don't have enough to read) that I posted a follow-up to my article a while back on Bloggers Annex (the one about me throwing away the roses). You commented that you would like to read more of the story. I just wrote it and it is on my blog. But please don't rate my writing. It is late and I'm afraid my prose is not up to par. But hopefully still enjoyable. You can paste this into your browser to read it. Thanks! http://howellherald.blogspot.com/2008/10/matt-and-melissa-cautionary-tale.html