Dedee
Edited

So you may, or may not, know that we are avid VeggieTales fans here in the Refracted Light house. We lurv them. My children can watch them over and over and on the dvds that we have, they know all the special features as well.

So I thought I'd give a quick run-down a couple of new to us releases:Tomato Sawyer and Huckleberry Larry's Big River Rescue and
The Wonderful Wizard of Haas

I liked them both. I liked Huckleberry Larry better.

The Wonderful Wizard of Haas is a prodigal son story and also, if you haven't already guessed, a spoof on The Wizard of Oz. I enjoyed the show and laughed my head off, but I felt like the writers spent so much time spoofing the movie that the story was lacking. It didn't really get to me like so many other VeggieTales have. Maybe it's because I was never the prodigal son. I don't know. I just found the story line a bit weak. I hope my children caught the lesson, because it's an important one, but I felt it was overshadowed by the laughs.

Huckleberry Larry is another spoof, of Huckleberry Finn. The message here is that sometimes not helping people is the same as hurting them. There were plenty of laughs here, but the story was much stronger. I cared about the characters and I felt the lesson was really the focus of the story. We've even referenced it in Family Home Evening already and it hasn't been out that long. I'd recommend it to anyone.

(In case you are wondering, the only VeggieTales that I really don't like is The Duke and the Pie War, a retelling of the Ruth story with a little bit of Moses thrown in. Bleh. I totally felt like they missed the boat. My favorite is Esther followed closely by Gideon Tuba Warrior. I mean what's not to love about either story? An Isle of Endless Tickling and a marching band. Gotta love it!)
Labels: edit post
5 Responses
  1. EEEEMommy Says:

    I haven't seen many of the later veggie tales. I kinda got veggied out. The kids still enjoy them though.
    Oh and my kids love our They Might Be Giants Flood CD. ;)


  2. So with you on the pie war one! Can't wait to see the new ones!


  3. We just recently TiVo'd some more Veggietales. My daughter LOVED it.


  4. Brillig Says:

    TOO funny that you posted this. We have the Wizard of Haas currently playing. On repeat. I'm pretty sure my kids have watched it ten thousand times this week. Still cracks me up...


  5. Catherine Says:

    I'm a huge Veggie fan too - they first came out when I was in college and my friends and I would watch them together and laugh our heads off. I still own a few "old school" veggies from that time, and up until a few weeks ago that's all that Asher had watched for TV, more or less. I just got five other ones on ebay, so we're expanding.

    I agree with you about the Wonderful Wizard - there just seemed to be too much spoof and not enough story - I was really dissapointed, didn't even feel it was worthy of the name Veggie Tales.

    I think my all time favs are King George and the Ducky or some of the very very first ones. But I haven't seen most of the new ones you mentioned...